Monday, October 4, 2010

Steam sliced chicken breast meat with dried lily buds,mushrooms & black fungus

It has been a long time since Mum made this dish. This dish call for dried lily buds. Another name is golden needles. Dried lily buds are the unopened flowers of day lilies. The the scientic name is Hemerocallis. Dried lily buds have been used in China as both a food and medicine for over 2,000 years. Dried lily buds are yellow-gold in color, with a musky or earthy.

When purchasing lily buds, look for those with pale color. Before using, you may need to cut off about a quarter inch at the bottom to get rid of the woody stem. They must be soaked in warm water for about thirty minutes before use. For better flavor, try tying them in a knot.




Ingredients:
300 gms chicken breast meat
75 gms dried lily buds
3 big piece of dried shitake mushroom
10 gms black fungus
½ cup chicken stock or ½ cup water with ½ chicken bullion

(A)
1 ts chopped garlic

1 tb chopped young ginger
2 tb white wine or Chinese
2 tb sesame oil
1 tb oysters sauce
½ ground white pepper
1 ts sugar
2 ts corn starch

Method:
Wash dried lily bulbs and soaked in warm water for 30 mins. Drain and squeeze out excess water and tie a note for each bud set aside. Wash and soak dried shitake mushroom, drain and squeeze out excess water and slice thinly and set aside. Wash black fungus, soaked in warm water for 30 mins , take off the core and tear it up into smaller florets and set aside. Wash chicken breast meat and slice meat strip into about ¼ in thick ½ in wide and about 2 ins long and set aside. Get ready the chopped young ginger, chopped onion. Marinate chicken with (A) for ½ hour. Just before putting chicken in the steamer add chicken stock, black fungus, sliced mushroom and dried lily buds in to plate. Mix well and when the water in the steamer is boiling, steam for about 30 mins or till chicken turns white and cooked.

14 comments:

  1. I'm not sure if I've ever had dried lily, although it looks alot like a soup my grandmother use to make. In any, case this looks so appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I had to come over and see what you are all about. Wow, your photos are beautiful and I am going to enjoy looking at all your posts. Everything sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi naomi,
    May I ask what soup did your mum made? Oh Thanks for checking out my blog and please return often to look at new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynne,

    I enjoy your blog too. Will be visiting you often. Please feel free to comment on my recipes and offer your suggestions. Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello again. Oh my, your blog really brings back memories...
    Mum used to have the dried lillies in egg drop soup. Gotta get some right now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy to have found your blog! I'm totally following. This dish is awesome - if I learn how to make this, my dad would be pretty impressed. Going to learn a lot from you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ping,
    Dried lillies in egg drop soup? Ya, my mum used to make that too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Belinda,
    Thanks for dropping by and happy to be acquainted with you so that we can exchange ideas on recipes and cooking experience. Please visit me now and then for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love lily buds and black fungus. I will be a frequent guest on your blog site. You have some great recipes. Aloha from Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi John,
    I am so happy that you will be my frequent guest. I will be yours too. Got lots to learn from you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting dish! I've never cooked with lilies although I have cooked with hibiscus before. Flowers are such a fun ingredient to incorporate into food. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. hey there,
    thanks for stopping by dear...You knw I loved reading the introduction on your page...got lost in quay,guay and kwai :)
    never heard..forget cooking with lily...but that bowl looks wonderful...
    will visit you often nw! keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Julie,
    I agree with you totally. Thanks for your visit. Hope to see you often.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi sinfullyspicy,
    You sounded as warm as your name. I am you like my intro about my blog name and I know it is confusing haha.. Looking forward to see you often.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!