Friday, February 18, 2011

Are you a romantic or a cynic? We are both!

When I arrived at the hotel and walked into the our room a day before Valentine's day, I saw this little arrangement on the dressing table. 






The flowers were lovely and I love the little butterfly clip. I really appreciate that my hubby took the time to make this little arrangement for me. He did not buy me expensive fancy chocolates but he bought me my favorite Kit-Kat!  That was a surprise!  He surprises me a lot and sometimes I wonder when is he going to run out of ideas. Frankly, I am not as creative as he is so I have long ago ran out of ideas to surprise him. Now my surprise to him is, there is no more surprises! I think I can get away with it because I am a "Chinese Kampong Girl"! LOL!

When I was at the mall on Valentine's afternoon, it was crowded with long ques of people at chocolate, cake stores, and florists. Everybody were rushing to get their love one a Valentine's gift.  Obviously, commercial interests has contributed greatly to the publicity that surrounds Valentine's day. No one can argue that they are all designed to rake in the profits.  To me, commercializing any holidays can often replace the true history and tradition of it but on the other hand, because of that, the holiday stays alive and not forgotten.  I think we should not be obsessed with tangible things and forget what the holiday really stands for. It is a big mistake to think that a gift or a dinner for your love ones on this day is going to make up for the fact that you don't show care for the rest of the year. Love is a precious experience and should be celebrated everyday in our own way not just once a year.

That evening, while everyone flocked to fancy restaurants for a candle light dinner to celebrate Valentine's day, we had a quiet dinner at a Kopitiam in the hotel we stayed in. We ordered three of our favorite dishes and two glasses of champagne. The deep fried tahu with bean sprouts and onions in a thin rojak sauce was delicious.  The beef rendang goes well with white rice.  There is nothing to shout about for the oysters sauce kai lan but a meal did not seem complete without vegetables. We enjoyed our meal and the attention from the waiters.  The service was better than usual because there were only a few of us there. To us, this is so much better than going to a crowded fancy restaurant, pay a big bill for a set menu of little choice and get annoyed by lousy service. We celebrated love in our own way.







28 comments:

  1. Looks like you had an amazing afternoon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's very sweet of your husband =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sweet! I had a surprised gift and dinner too, but with my daughter tagging around. So it seems I don't have any quiet moment until she sleeps..haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reese: When our kids are little, we cannot have any quiet moments until they go to bed. But then, when they grow up, we have too many quiet moments. What an irony!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect Valentine's Day to me! You have the perfect blend of cynic and romantic. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think a Kit Kat is a perfect treat! What a lovely Valentine scene your husband created for you! The flowers are beautiful.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  7. AWWW! Your hubby has been such a sweetheart ... Lucky! How I wish my future husband is like that, too ...

    Oh, to your question, I am a cynic. Hehehe ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Small kucing: he is the thouhtful one, I am thoughtless compared to him.

    Kristy: I had a fun afternoon people watching at the mall.

    NEL: I would like to think so.

    Tanna: can' t agree with you more.

    Cathy, Belinda: which part? Having dinner at a kopitiam? Hehe

    From the kitchen: for me it is. Cheap and good.

    Pei-Lin: I believe you will find him somedaynbut first stop being a pure cynic. Got to strike a balance. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a wonderful hubby:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your husband is so sweet! That's a lovely bouquet of flowers :). Great to hear you had a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely date with your sweet love. Gorgeous flowers and the champagne is tempting me:)Hope you had a wonderful week:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG! he's so sweet, lovely and romantic! (: (;

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your husband Stitch is such a sweetie. It really isn't how expensive the gift is, but how much you really enjoy it. That really was a thoughtful gift. I'm glad you lovebirds were able to enjoy a beautiful Valentine's Day together. You two are too cute! Hope you're having a great weekend, Veronica.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweetheart! Those flowers are beautiful, and it sounds like the food was great. Thank you for sharing your heart and these precious treats. I hope you have a blessed Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd say you had the perfect day!! Lovely pictures that you shared with us, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. David, Sharon, Jasmin, Lora, Monet: All my girlfriends said the same thing:D

    LeQuan: Thanks and you too have a good weekend.

    Monet: Glad to share and you too have a wonderful weekend.

    Kim: Thanks, I guess we did:D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quay Lo always so romantic ! You are lucky .

    ReplyDelete
  18. you know something, i actually admire men who are romantic..in a way..not just the sweet words that they say but the thoughts that comes from their hearts. There are some men who think otherwise, they are very male egoistic and may even feel belittled upon showering love or flowers to their partners, how silly ! oh dear,i'm not too sure if i'm a cynic but i hope to be more romantic whenever i can, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sonia: I would like to think I am:D Thanks.

    Lena: Sure, I am with you, actions speaks louder than words. I encourage you to be more romantic, it puts colors in your life! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  20. Asian men should take some lessons on being romantic. It is not about expensive gifts for I am sure love is not about $$ but the thoughts behind it.

    You are very bless to have such romantic guy in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. edith: It is the bringing up of Asian men that does not allow them to be romantic and demonstrative of love but I think the younger generation are different:D Yes, I am very blessed that my hubby is still very romantic after 15 years of our marriage.

    Chow and Chatter: Thanks and I was surprised to see that you know my step-daughter, Erin:D

    ReplyDelete
  22. The flowers and food look absolutely amazing!

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fashion meets food, Many thanks for your visit and comment. Hope to see you around often.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!