Friday, November 4, 2011

Speaking of LOVE

We went to Rome for a holiday in 2000 and we had a great time there. Time flies and eleven years just passed by!





Famous saying, "In Rome, do what the Romans do" just did not apply to me as far as food was concerned when we were there. I remembered I survived my whole trip on bread and pasta. I ate penne pasta in spicy tomato sauce with lots of chilli flakes and NO cheese, for almost every meal.  We found this little family Italian restaurant that we both like. It was a cosy little place with friendly faces. Each time, we were there I ordered the same thing and always reminded the waiter to tell the chef that I want extra spicy hot. I guessed the chef got curious about this customer who always asked for more chillis. He finally came out to greet us and see who this hot stuff is. I am sure he was disappointed when he saw this little, very ordinary looking"Kampung" Chinese lady. LOL! He was such a friendly guy and he chatted with us like old friends. No wonder Italians are reputed to be very expressive and warm people. So this is not just in movie but in real life too. Then, the last night, before we returned to Malaysia, we went there for dinner for one last time. After our dinner, the boss of the restaurant and his manager came to greet us and gave us a big hug. They even walked us to the door and ordered a taxi for us when it was time to leave. They wanted us to take a photo with them and we did.  

The memory of how easy a hug was given by a stranger makes me want to share with you the speech from the late Italian doctor, Dr. Leo Buscaglia. My Quay Lo sent me this link a few days ago.  I did not expect to watch the whole series at one go but I did. Here is a link to Part 1 of 6.


↵ Use original player
By KathyN
YouTube
← Replay
X
i


I enjoyed his speech very much so I was hooked on it until I finished all 6 parts of the series. I could feel a lump in my throat and tears welled up in my eyes throughout listening to what he said about love. He had also written a book called LOVE.  From an article I read, A young reader of the book, Silvana Rosati-Capizzano wrote, “Leo was a University professor by profession. He had an idea for a new class to add to the curriculum. He wanted to introduce a university class on "LOVE". When he pitched his idea to the dean, and with much discussion it was accepted, (after much criticism), but only if he did it on his own time, without load credit and without a salary. The idea seemed ridiculous to the other professors. He ignored the ridiculing and forged ahead with this great idea. The idea was not embraced by many students but slowly and steadily, enrollment increased. It had to be eventually capped at 100 students.

These were students of all ages interested in "Love Class". They shared ideas, feeling and observations that was relevant to the human condition. Although they were never really able to define love, one student did come up with a wonderful explanation:
"I find love much like a mirror. When I love another, he becomes my mirror and I become his, and reflection in each other's love we see infinity!" Isn't this definition beautiful?

There are those that dismiss love as a naïve romantic concept while others find love all encompassing and the greatest, deepest feeling that is meant to be given away. Which one are you?

Did you listen to at least the 1st part of his speech? Isn’t he amazing?

There is so many ways to share love and I know one sure way is through food.  I did not replicate the spicy penne pasta I had in that family restaurant in Italy but I made my own version. I used my fusion spicy tomato sauce.  Mine is super "All'arrabiata"!!  In Italian, it means "angry style" because of the heat of the chillis. I shared my love through food and even in an "angry style", there is lots of love in it. Enjoy!

Penne Pasta in Quay Po's fusion pomodoro sauce




Ingredients:
penne pasta
pamesan cheese to taste
fusion pomodoro sauce (click on the picture for the recipe)


Method:
Add a teaspoon of  salt to a pot of water and bring to boil. Cook penne pasta till el dante about 9 minutes. Drain water and pour fusion tomato sauce over it. Add parmesan cheese and serve with freshly baked crusty bread.


Notice I did not give you the measurement for the penne pasta?  I don't think it is necessary.

45 comments:

  1. I like your recipe,
    love Rome and your photos,
    ADORE Dr. Leo Buscaglia. !!

    You are a fun blogger to visit!

    Aloha from Honolulu

    Comfort Spiral

    > < } } ( ° >

    ><}}(°>

    < ° ) } } > <

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, what a man,, this was a very inspirational post,,I certainly know which one I want to be!

    I have had to start a new blog, I hope that you will follow me there, I have left a trail from my old one,, sleep well my friend.
    (that is a lovely photo of you )
    I will fold my hands and say love love love with just as much passion as the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post indeed :) Love your Rome's pix and I know you really had a great time there ;) The pasta looks yummy and your pasta sauce's very unique because it has sambal belacan ! Two thumb ups :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've eaten arriabiata pasta before, but with sambal? I know I mentioned it before but I still haven't tried it - hope to try it soon though! I always am lazy to thaw my samba and end up using chili flakes instead hehe.

    I also had similar experiences in italy - they were all so welcoming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. delicious looking pasta and lovely pictures

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very sophisticated recipe for pasta. My version is too plain and simple if compare to yours. Yours is 5 star hotel standard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rome is one of the places I always dream of visiting. Thanks for sharing beautiful photos. Oh I wish I could be there! I just checked and love your fusion tomato sauce! This pasta must be so delicious. (Ciabatta pizza looked delicious too by the way)

    ReplyDelete
  8. your fusion tomato sauce got sambal belachan in it!! Can't imaging how the taste will be for the pasta to go with the sauce but for sure the looks of the tomato sauce is very inviting and able to convince me to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the Rome pics..very nice indeed.

    I can never cook such a delicious pasta...can i have some of yours? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Italy! One of my dream destination to travel. Wonder when I will be able to step my foot there.

    I never like pasta or spaghetti in tomato sauce. I prefer the creamy & milky type. Ooooo.....so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful sharing - in your recipe and story and Leo Buscaglia himself.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely pictures of your visit to Italy. Your pasta sauce is very unique ~ with sambal belachan, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi quay po.. bookmarked this recipe already! gonna cook this the next time for pasta dinner...

    And... saw the pantry magic monthly newsletter. Is the cooking class from u hands on? Or just a demo?

    really feel like going but its on a Sunday la... Family day...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I, too, have always wanted to go to Rome . . . glad I don't have to to share this pasta. Looks divine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would probably stick with pasta in Italy too, but mine would be covered in cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely story and a delicious looking pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fantastic pictures, we have also been to Rome but still have to publish the articles. It was a week or two ago. The Italian cuisine is very good but in Rome not always present. I am sure that you cook better. Did you enjoy the food in Rome?

    Greetings,
    Filip

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Quay Po, Ahhh, Rome the eternal city, Both of you look very nice in the pics.....
    Very interesting speech too.
    And your penne pasta will certainly make an Italian exclaim, "Mama mia...il relativo bello, gusto meraviglioso.."!

    Arrivederci,
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. So nice to bump into such nice people when travelling... My daughter loves pasta...my missus not really crazy about them - I'm ok. Anything that's nice, I'll like. Will try your recipe when my girl comes home end of this month...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your recipe is the closest I'm going to get to Rome for a while I think. Lovely story...lovely pictures...lovely dish.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your Rome photos! And may I just say that yes 11 years have passed but you havent changed a bit! Still looking so elegant and beautiful! Don't let Stitch read this part though. Don't want him to come chasing me from Msia all the way to Singapore with a parang!LOL

    ReplyDelete
  22. What I remember of Rome my dear is that it was truly a wonderful place to be in love. But then that is true of everywhere we have been.

    P.S. Your fusion pasta sauce is something I dream about sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love my pasta hot too :)! You remind me that the last time I was in Rome is when I was 12 years old...!! Time surely does fly!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, wow. What a dynamic speaker. I am already planning to listen through the entire series.

    I would LOVE to see Rome. It is on my list of things I WILL do someday.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the look of your pasta? what a coincidence...i was in ROME last Saturday!still missing the Italian food...yum yum...

    ReplyDelete
  26. wow bowl full of pasta looks superb, spicy and tasty just as I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. We were in Rome in 2010...and my hubby wants to go back in 2025 (if we can wait that long!). I loved seeing your photos...and hearing about your favorite little bistro. Now time to watch the video which I know I've seen before...but worth repeating! Hope you have a lovely weekend, my friend~

    ReplyDelete
  28. This pasta looks superb! It would be perfect for dinner tonight - but alas, I am on a plane, so I doubt I will get anything this good.

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a wonderful surprise Video from Leo Buscalia..I know him only from his Books and Photos..Thanks a lot for this Video..Many years a go I have written a letter to him.And he wrote me too..You can see hier.
    http://cali-grill.blogspot.com/search/label/Yazilarim

    Have a nice Sunday.
    Cali

    ReplyDelete
  30. That is indeed some food for thought! and how beautiful Rome is!!

    Gorgeous places and thoughts inspiring some wonder ful- i wouldn't mind digging in to this heart pasta anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thanks for this post and the photos. Interesting and intriguing.

    The sauce sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  32. love your pictures they are awesome beautiful captured. :) take care always.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks for sharing with us awesome holiday memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. good morning! thanks for sharing the link. that's an interesting talk abt love and it's a very good reminder to all of us. Love is magical, it makes our life magical and alive.I watched it all. yes, i dont want to miss love. Such simple act can actually brings a lot of difference to ourselves,to the people around us, to the whole universe. yes, i shall remind myself to be aware of all the beautiful things in the world and all the good food that we have, that we shared..and your penne pasta is one of those. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hey, u look so elegant in the shot! Makes me think of my Europe trip too :) Thks for sharing the link & the wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  36. @Cloudia
    Thanks my dear:D

    @laurie
    I went to your new blog and follow you already:D So sorry you have so much hassle with the old blog.

    @anne
    Thank you so much.

    @Janine
    How about leaving a tiny jar out of the fridge so you don't have to thaw it each time. Yes the Italian people will be the reason we want to go back to visit Italy.

    @Torviewtoronto
    Many thanks.

    @Sheoh Yan
    Oh this is really very simple my dear. If I make you a jar of the sauce, all you have to do is to cook the pasta, heat up the sauce and that's it, dinner is ready.

    @Nami
    Wishing your dream come true soon. Thanks for checking out my fusion tomato sauce and the compliment for the ciabatta pizza.

    @Ah Tze
    Tze, try it and let me know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  37. @Cloudia
    Thanks my dear:D

    @laurie
    I went to your new blog and follow you already:D So sorry you have so much hassle with the old blog.

    @anne
    Thank you so much.

    @Janine
    How about leaving a tiny jar out of the fridge so you don't have to thaw it each time. Yes the Italian people will be the reason we want to go back to visit Italy.

    @Torviewtoronto
    Many thanks.

    @Sheoh Yan
    Oh this is really very simple my dear. If I make you a jar of the sauce, all you have to do is to cook the pasta, heat up the sauce and that's it, dinner is ready.

    @Nami
    Wishing your dream come true soon. Thanks for checking out my fusion tomato sauce and the compliment for the ciabatta pizza.

    @Ah Tze
    Tze, try it and let me know how you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  38. @Yee Ling
    Definitely you can.

    @mNhL
    Wishing your dream come true and your will visiting Rome soon. You are like my son, he too prefers it with creamy sauce.

    @Keats
    I just have to share Dr. Leo's speech. So inspiring!

    @yvonne
    haha, this is a VERY Chinese Quay Po.

    @Small Kucing
    Haha, when I was a working in the Building Material industry, some clients call me that.

    @iceamericanos
    The class is more of a demo. The place is not big enough for hands one. Ya, I know Sunday is a family day for most people.

    @Rosemary
    You must go to Rome. It is such a beautiful and romantic place and the people are so warm and friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  39. @That Girl
    haha, for sure if you love cheese.

    @yummychunklet
    Thanks much.

    @Filip
    Looking forward to see your pics of your trip to Rome. You always take fabulous pics of your trip. Thanks for your compliment on my cooking. Yes I enjoyed the desserts, the wine and pasta in Rome.

    @Uncle Lee
    hehe Mama mia indeed for putting sambal belachan?

    @suituapui
    You must be very anxious for your girl to be back eh?

    @Ameena
    I am having a wonderful week and hope you too.

    @Alan
    Wow, how sweet of you to say that. Must let my Quay Lo see your comment, at least he knows his Quay Po still got market value! hehehe

    @Simplifried
    Darling, that's a million dollar confession! No need to dream about my fusion sauce lah, can always make for you when you are not traveling.

    ReplyDelete
  40. @cooking gallery
    So it is time to go Rome again:D

    @Ambreen
    Many thanks.

    @Mary
    I am sure you will get hooked to his speech. Rome is a place everyone should visit once.

    @Soul Recipe
    Glad you enjoyed yourself.

    @simply.food
    Thanks.

    @Lizzy
    I had a great weekend. Yes, it is worth listen to Dr. Leo's speech over and over again. I definitely would.

    @Cakelaw
    Ya, food on the plane is not so tasty. I never eat the food on the plane if it is a short flight.

    @Cali
    Thanks for your link to the letter you received from Dr. Leo. Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  41. @daphne
    If you love spicy hot stuff, you will love this pasta dish.

    @bookcasefoodie
    You are most welcome. Thanks for your visit and comment. See you around.

    @Mars
    Thanks and you too.

    @Anh
    you are very welcome.

    @lena
    Good evening my dear. We do need reminder like Dr. Leo's speech now and then because we are often forget to appreciate the little things in life.

    @Shirley
    Thanks for the compliment. I wish to grow old gracefully:D

    ReplyDelete
  42. Veronica,

    I have never been to Rome, but that is definitely on my list of must visit places. And don't even get me started on love. That is such a short word but also a most powerful and meaningful word which can be looked at through so many different viewpoints. One can love in so many different ways that it amazes me sometimes of how simple this word looks, but yet how complicated it can really get. See? I told you not to get me started. Haha.

    Your photos are looking more and more beautiful with each post, Veronica. Lovely colours and presentation with this dish. You've turned something simple into something deliciously tasteful looking - almost sinful. But the best part is, this is rather a healthy dish. Speaking of love, love this dish! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  43. @LeQuan
    LeQuan, I am so sorry I missed this comment of yours. What a late reply this is. But late better than never right? hehe Thanks so much for being so supportive. You are right LOVE is complicated. For sure it is as simple as the word looks:D

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!