Monday, October 22, 2012

Honey, I am home! Where is my dinner?

Tips for working couples

I came across this article in The Wall Street Journal titled “Putting the Honey Back in 'Honey, I'm Home'”.

If you and your partner are a working couple, I am sure you can relate to this article. I could, because yours truly has been there, and done that.

It is a drag to have to cook when you've just returned home after a hard day's work, isn’t it? If you are like me and do not think that char kway teow, KFC, or pizza are a good answer and do not want to  nag your partner into pulling his/her share of the work,  I have a suggestion. How about making a big batch of pulled pork during the weekends? Divide the pork into meal sized portions, and store in  properly sealed containers and put them in the freezer. Before you leave for work, just take one container out of the freezer and put it into the fridge. By the time you return from work, it is ready to warm up on the stove top and whip up a delicious meal. All you have to do is to mix the pulled pork with your favorite BBQ sauce and heat it on the stove to make pulled pork sandwiches.  If you wish to do a little more work, you can serve them with corn on the cob, fried or roasted potato wedges and coleslaw. You might even add some butter sauteed green capsicum to the pulled pork. That will make a perfect meal but if you are too tired, don't even bother. Eat the pork with some fresh tossed greens or some quick stir fried spinach will be fine too.

P.S. I have a lot of recipes and tips for working couples and am thinking about featuring these under a title of "Tips for working couples.

Pulled Pork Burger

Please click on the picture to get the recipe for pulled pork

How to prepare corn on the cob:


This is featured on the Asian Food Channel (Official) Facebook page 
on 25th October 2012

Hust the corn, pull off the silky threads. Drop the corn into a large pot filled with boiling salted water. Cover the pot and bring water to a boil again. Turn off the heat and keep the pot covered. After about 5 minutes, serve with lots of butter and salt.

How to make coleslaw:


Ingredients:
1 medium cabbage
2 carrots, peeled and shredded
½ cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp sour cream or buttermilk
1 cider vinegar
1 tbsp sugar, or to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Method:
Remove any wilted outer leaves from the cabbage. Quarter the cabbage, cut out its core, then shred them. In a large bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sour cream or buttermilk, sugar. Add the shredded cabbage and carrots. Mix well until the vegetables are uniformly coated with the dressing.

Season to taste with salt and white pepper. The sweetness and tartness can be adjusted to your taste with more sugar and vinegar. If you prefer more creamy dressing, add more sour cream. Refrigerate for at least an hour, up to four hours, before serving.

In a large stainless steel or glass bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar, sour cream or buttermilk, the optional mustard or horseradish, and the sugar and celery salt.

Add the shredded cabbage, carrots and onion. Mix well until the vegetables are uniformly coated with the dressing.

Season to taste with salt and white pepper. Adjust the flavoring with more vinegar if it's too sweet or more sugar if it's too tart. You can also adjust the creaminess with more sour cream or buttermilk if you like.

Refrigerate for at least an hour, up to four hours, before serving.


42 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha!!!! Reminds me of this joke that I heard a long time ago...about couples at breakfast:
    The English hubby would say to the wife, "Sweetheart, can you pass the sugar, please?"
    The American hubby would say to the wife:
    "Honey darling, can you pass the honey, please?
    The Malaysian hubby would holler to the wife:
    "Oooi, lembu!!! Mana susu?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ROFLOL! Thanks Arthur for the joke and a good laugh. Hey, I am sure you are not those Malaysian hubbies that will call your wife that. Those men deserves a tight slap from the wifes. hahaha

      Delete
    2. Yen when I read Arthur's joke again, I laugh some more. LOL!

      Delete
  2. simple and yummy. I normally make a pot full of stock that I can use as a tasty base for any quick meals especially soups. And some premarinated meats that I just grab from the freezer in the morning so that I can grill or pan fry them when I am home...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get dinner when he works n he gets dinner when I have to work or tapau when we're both lazy. 50-50. I'm a lucky lady :)
    I'd welcome your "tips" greatly.
    Made some pulled beef out of some leftover slow roast recently. Yum! And easy! Now you've got me wanting to make it with pork next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love how you both prepare dinner for each other and go tapau when you both don't feel like cooking. That should be the way.

      Delete
  4. Hi there, today I have no problem to view your update, I think this Blog is "shot shot dei" from my side! Anyway, your pork burger looks like a million dollar burger to me, I love it! As for the coleslaw salad, I was actually planning to make it yesterday to eat with some grilled prawns but sadly my sinseh told me not to touch on egg & seafood. Bought the cabbage already but can't make coleslaw, luckily today can appreciate it from your place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesssie, glad you can now view my updates. Blogger seems to have problem now and then. Have you made your coleslaw eventually?

      Delete
  5. Am looking forwards to your tips. Ready cooked food that can be frozen is really convenient. I love your pulled pork recipe and am going to try it this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks great and so much nicer than take away!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit. I am glad you enjoyed my post.

      Delete
  8. Nice tips for a working couple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess working couples will always prefer no fuss recipe.

      Delete
  9. Oh~ Nice pulled pork recipe!

    Indeed it's very convenient for a working wife like me :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a perfect timing.. I just made coleslaw with your recipe.. lol... thks! yum...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey ! I could subsist on char kway teow alone ! lol Lovely post ! That pulled pork looks scrumptious and sounds really great with your coleslaw !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha Anne, I am sure a lot of people will agree with you on the char kway teow.

      Delete
  12. In fact KFC sounds like a great option to me:D But I like the way you cook corn on the cob, I usually steam the corns...love your corn holder:D I love the look of the pull pork even more:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, I bought those corn holder in US. I am sure they are available here now.

      Delete
  13. Awww this is fantastic for working singles too ...we are tired of eating fast food... and since it's late at night some restaurants that serves home cook style food are serving the lunch menu.. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, it is. So are you going to trying cooking some?

      Delete
  14. Salute you Quay Po! You have so many to share.
    Thank you and keep up the good work! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and hope what I shared show far is benefiicial to you all.

      Delete
  15. I'm going to forward that article to my boyfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I often do that when I make pulled pork or a roast...set some aside in meal size portions and freeze. With chiken too, I'll make more than enough for a meal and use the extra for lunches and pull out freezer package for stir fry or soup or fried rice etc....

    But my husband won't do anything in the kitchen except last night he did make himself pasta with pesto (already made). He usually get's home so late (his busy season) that my daughter and I have already eaten. At least he is good at eating leftovers! :)


    I do like your tips, always nice to get reminders of quick easy meals. I am so tired by the time I get out of school (work) and drive across town to my husband's shop to pick up my daughter and puppy (he brings them there after he gets our daughter from school). Then whatever errands I have to do, then get home and start dinner, and if I sit down...forget it I'm done for the night! I'm getting old! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lyndsey, you getting old? so I am going to be an antique? AIYOH! LOL!

      Oh yes, I can appreciate how tired you will be after work and got to run errands and stuff. I think heating up leftoveris is not a bad idea when nights you really don't feel like cooking at all.

      Delete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!