Monday, June 24, 2013

Living with a lot less


After I broke my foot, I have been living my life in our living hall with just one small carry on bag so I could avoid the stairway. 



The experience reminded me of an  article I had read about living with a lot less which was very interesting. I think it is worth sharing.  

I mentioned to my husband many times that I wanted to live with a lot less since we were getting old. However, the experience with my broken foot, has really made me fully realize that we could.  Like the author of this article, I really do not want to be cluttered with excess belongings! I want to give away and sell all my possessions (except my Quay Lo). LOL!

Jokes aside, I knew I would be much happier to live more simply with less. I did not want to be a slave to things! I know this sounds very Buddhist, or at least minimalist, but it appeals to me deeply.

Then, something struck my mind; how could I really become completely free of possessions if I still wanted to bake and cook? I satisfied my concern by remembering that I could bake this healthy loaf of bread in a counter top microwave cum convection oven, and it turned out so beautiful! Who needs a big four burner oven? Not me. So I can still become the Zen chef after all. As long as I am sure not to toss out the mixer, or that large spoon, or that big porcelain bowl I use for resting dough, or the canisters with the ingredients all line up so trimly on my kitchen countertop, and I must have that......

Zucchini Bread


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
 1/2 tsp baking powder
 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
 1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 jumbo egg
1/2 cup vegetable oil
 1 cup granulated sugar
 1 1/2 vanilla extract
 1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup chopped hazel nut

Method:
Grease and flour one 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl. Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

18 comments:

  1. Yes, things are getting expensive. Even the price for kampua noodles here have gone up...so it is time to learn to live with a lot less or even do without.

    Actually, many things aren't necessary, we can do without those...and also, much can be saved with a little bit of care on spending and using...and it's cheaper to cook one's own...usually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very wise, Quay Po! When I do my housekeeping, I realise that some of the things in the house are only good for collecting dust LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We gather possessions around us like a comfort blanket and they become a habit. I managed to de-clutter a few years ago and found it very therapeutic...unfortunately, like excess weight, I have gained some since then. This is a timely reminder! I hope your foot is well and truly on the mend. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This zucchini bread looks amazing - a must try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good morning,
    Yes, it is true I tend to amass more things than I require too! Nowadays I always ask myself this question before I buy, "Is it necessary?" and it helps as most of time the answer is No.
    Take care and hope you will get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry to know that you hurt your foot. Hope that you're feeling better now. Yes, sometimees less is always more. LOL My sis & me joke about this when we see some of our friends passed most of thier time shopping for gadget stuff & showing off in FB! LOL Your zucchini bread looks good & appetizing! Take care ! HUGS ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope that you are recovering, Veron. Your zucchini loaf looks good, have been meaning to bake one for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Take care Quay po, life is sometimes simple and sometimes busiers, sometimes less, but i think most is that we stilll live in healthy and happily. that is important.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep your head up! Great looking loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummm...love the simple zucchini bread with nuts.

    Take care Veron and speedy recovery ok. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the last paragraph of your post. Brings a smile to a rather hazy day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Okay then , send me your 4-burner oven over here ASAP lol So , how's the foot ? Hope it's healing well and good !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just follow the middle path live in moderation. Get well soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh I am so sorry to hear about your foot, I lost you for a while and now I found your blog again, I have some catching up to do, take care,

    ReplyDelete
  15. aiyo, reading this post makes me so guilty, i got so much things in the house and i dont know how to get rid of them..and just cant get rid of them..so messy !! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I appreciate you guys taking the time to leave your comments. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ya is true , now I feel lesser is better , hehehe..but I still want to keep all my baking pans till old, hahaha,.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you. Your comments mean a lot to me. Thanks!